Hosting an International Student
The Lutheran High School Association (LHSA) works with several International Student Programs. The students are screened by these organizations, moderately fluent in English, typically 15 to 18 years old and have expressed a sincere desire to learn about our country by living with a family, attending high school and sharing their own culture and language with their newly adopted host family. The majority of our international students enjoy their experience so much, that many stay for the remainder of their high school career.
The international students arrive from their home country shortly before school begins and return at the end of the school year. Each student has health insurance, brings his or her own personal spending money and expects to bear his or her share of household responsibilities, as well as being included in normal family activities and lifestyles.
Host Family Requirements
- The family must be willing to share their life with the student and include him/her as part of the family.
- All family members, especially teenage children, must agree that hosting is what they want.
- A separate bedroom for the international student is required. The student must have a bed that is neither convertible nor inflatable. If the bedroom is located in the lower level of the home, there must be egress from that level.
- The house should be clean and orderly and must be large enough to accommodate another person.
- A quiet study area must be available somewhere in the the house.
- The host family must furnish three meals a day, as well as family meals eaten in a restaurant. (The host family is responsible for a packed lunch to take to school. If the student chooses to purchase lunch, that would be paid for by the student).
- The host family would incorporate the student's laundry into the family laundry.
- They do not have to be rich or famous or live in a spacious home.
- They will provide support, guidance, and hopefully a measure of love.
- They will need to complete a Host Family Application Form, furnish three references and submit to a criminal background check.
- They will have complete a Host Family Interview at their home.
- They need to agree to a Verification Visit within 60 days of the student's arrival.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will we be paid for housing the international student?
The organizations that we work with pay stipends of $850 per month.
May we request a particular sex or country of origin?
Yes, you may indicate a preference, but you should be aware that females are placed more quickly than males, The majority of our recent students have been coming from China.
Is our religion of importance?
Traditionally, students enjoy the social aspects of church, but they may have religious beliefs different from your own or none at all. Both the family and the students are asked to respect these differences.
Will we qualify if we are not the typical family?
There is no "typical" family and we welcome all types of families to host.
Will the student be permitted to work?
They are first and foremost a student, so they are NOT allowed to work. As a functioning member of your household, the student is expected to participate in chores - dishes, dog walking, etc.