LUTHERAN HIGH SCHOOL ASSOCIATION HISTORY
1944 Detroit Lutheran High School is opened at 1000 W. Grand Boulevard
with 168 students.
1947 First graduation with a class of 70 students.
1951 Detroit Lutheran High School is moved to 5040 Joy Road.
1957 Lutheran East and Lutheran West are built.
1969 Combined enrollment has reached 1,300.
1971 Gyms are built at East and West with funds from the Dollar-A-Month Club.
1972 Lutheran North is started with 65 students at Gethsemane Lutheran
Church in Rochester.
1974 Lutheran North moves into a new building in Macomb Township.
1978 Lutheran Northwest is started with 62 students at Prince of Peace
Lutheran Church in Farmington Hills. The combined enrollment
has reached a record of 1,918 students.
1979 The Grand Club is established with 50 members at the fist annual
1984 The Lutheran Education Foundation is established.
1986 Lutheran Westland is started with 123 students.
1987 Lutheran West and Lutheran North are named National Exemplary Schools.
1995 Lutheran West is closed and sold.
1995 The 50th anniversary of the Lutheran High School Association is celebrated.
1997 Lutheran North is renovated and expanded with a wing of classrooms,
a second gym, and fine arts performance area.
1999 Lutheran Northwest’s gym is expanded into a field-house and fine arts
2000 Lutheran South is started with 12 students at Trinity Lutheran Church
2001 Lutheran South is relocated to a six room portable classroom building on
the property of Christ Our Shepherd in Newport
2001 Lutheran Westland is renovated and expanded with a second gym, lobby,
locker-rooms, and fine arts performance area.
2004 Lutheran East is closed, and students merged into Lutheran Northwest.
2006 The Lutheran High School Association Administrative Office is relocated
to a new addition to Lutheran Northwest which also includes two additional
2007 A gym is built at Lutheran South.
2008 The faculty of the Lutheran High School Association schools develop a unified
standards based curriculum.
2011 Lutheran South academic wing and school offices are added.
2016 Lutheran South is closed.