LUTHERAN HIGH SCHOOL ASSOCIATION HISTORY
1944 Detroit Lutheran High School is opened at 1000 W. Grand Boulevard with 168 students.
1947 First graduation with a class of 70 students.
1951 Detroit Lutheran High School is moved to 5040 Joy Road.
1957 Lutheran East and Lutheran West are built.
1969 Combined enrollment has reached 1,300.
1971 Gyms are built at East and West with funds from the Dollar-A-Month Club.
1972 Lutheran North is started with 65 students at Gethsemane Lutheran Church in Rochester.
1974 Lutheran North moves into a new building in Macomb Township.
1978 Lutheran Northwest is started with 62 students at Prince of Peace Lutheran Church in Farmington Hills. The combined enrollment has reached a record of 1,918 students.
1979 The Grand Club is established with 50 members at the fist annual Christmas celebration.
1984 The Lutheran Education Foundation is established.
1986 Lutheran Westland is started with 123 students.
1987 Lutheran West and Lutheran North are named National Exemplary Schools.
1995 Lutheran West is closed and sold.
1995 The 50th anniversary of the Lutheran High School Association is celebrated.
1997 Lutheran North is renovated and expanded with a wing of classrooms, a second gym, and fine arts performance area.
1999 Lutheran Northwest’s gym is expanded into a field-house and fine arts performance area.
2000 Lutheran South is started with 12 students at Trinity Lutheran Church in Monroe.
2001 Lutheran South is relocated to a six room portable classroom building on the property of Christ Our Shepherd in Newport.
2001 Lutheran Westland is renovated and expanded with a second gym, lobby, locker-rooms, and fine arts performance area.
2004 Lutheran East is closed, and students merged into Lutheran Northwest.
2006 The Lutheran High School Association Administrative Office is relocated to a new addition to Lutheran Northwest which also includes two additional classrooms.
2007 A gym is built at Lutheran South.
2008 The faculty of the Lutheran High School Association schools develop a unified standards based curriculum.
2011 Lutheran South academic wing and school offices are added.
2016 Lutheran South is closed.
2019 Lutheran North addition which includes an atrium and ten new classrooms on two different levels.
“Keep FAITH With Our Youth” was the theme of the capital fund raising effort in the mid 1950’s for the building of Lutheran High West and Lutheran High East. Over the years, it has become the mission statement of the Lutheran High School Association. With our faith in Jesus Christ being the key element in our past and our greatest strength in the future, we use that word to highlight all of the elements that make LHSA successful in its mission.
F: FAITH. Much has changed in education since the doors first opened at Detroit Lutheran High School in 1944. Instructional techniques, pedagogy, curriculum, technology, and even the dress code have continued to change. One component has remained constant, that our schools are first and foremost Christ-centered schools. Teaching and sharing the faith with our students is why Lutheran High School was founded and why we continue to exist to this day.
Our Lutheran High Schools certainly provide a solid academic and extra-curricular program for our students, but what sets them apart is the faith shared in formal settings such as chapel and religion classes, and in the thousands of interactions that occur between individuals daily.
Our schools are made up of souls; Children of God. Our ultimate goal is that succeed academically, but even more importantly, that they continue their walk of faith unto eternity with Jesus Christ.
A : ACADEMICS. All of our schools collaborate to create a shared curriculum based upon identified standards and outcomes. Faculty are accountable to their departmental standards, and the resulting high test scores are a testament to their hard work and success..
I : INSTRUCTORS. Our teachers are key to the success of our students and schools. Studies show that high expectations, relevant instruction, and strong relationships are vital to student performance. Thus, we fill our schools with teachers who love their Lord, love working with young people, and love their subject area.
Highly trained and certified faculty is a priority of the Association and a requirement for accreditation. 74% of our teachers with two or more years of experience have earned a Masters Degree or higher, demonstrating their desire to be lifelong learners and experts in their field.
T : TECHNOLOGY. Technology has always been a part of education. From fountain pens to smart phones, technology has and will continue to change. Our students enjoy the benefits of a traditional classroom setting, where teachers have a multitude of options available to them to enhance their teaching. In our wireless world, students may use their smart phones, notebooks, and tablets for educational purposes during the school day. Teachers make use of technology in their classroom, engaging students in new ways. Technology opens up new worlds to our students and we must seize the opportunities it provides, not with the intention of adopting different technologies because they are new, but rather, after careful study, how they will assist us in better preparing our students for their life after high school.
H : HEALTHY FINANCES. Due to careful management and oversight of the Association finances, the International Student Program, and the Association’s Shared Time Program with local public schools, the Association has been able to freeze congregational assessments since 2004. At the same time, student financial aid and the salary scale for faculty and staff has increased each year.
For the past 15 years, the Association has carried no debt, paying cash for the last three building projects. Also during that time, the Association’s Foundation has grown from 2 million to over 17 million in investments.
The economy in Michigan has been a challenge for the last decade. As a result, congregations have had to tighten their belts and, in many cases, drop the level of support for their high school families. While this decision is understandable, it presents a challenge for our high schools to retain those students that they currently have and recruit prospective students knowing that the cost may be significantly higher, as parents also feel the pinch of the economy in their own families. The need for financial aid continues to escalate. Therefore, as we move forward it is imperative that we continue to raise funds for financial aid. We never want a student to be turned away due to lack of funds.
Since the establishment of Lutheran High School in 1944, thousands of dedicated men and women have sacrificed to provide our young people a quality, Christ-centered, values based education. It has never been nor will it ever be easy, the devil cannot be pleased and will seek to destroy, but with the armor of God, this ministry will continue to succeed and be blessed, as we continue to ”Keep FAITH With Our Youth.”